Almost, all jobs in Canada need a work permit. Most jobs also require a positive LMIA before a work permit is issued. The temporary foreign worker program is the main pathway to come to Canada as a worker for most jobs. This applies to both high wage and low wage earners.
Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, employers must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labor and skill shortages. The LMIA verifies that there is a need for a temporary worker and that no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.
Apart from hiring workers, the TFWP program handles the following specialized applications:
  • Express entry: Hire a skilled foreign worker to support their permanent residence through an economic immigration program.
  • Global Talent Stream: Hire uniquely-skilled talent or in-demand workers in select ICT or STEM jobs to scale up and grow your business.
  • Academics: Hire an academic at a college, university, or degree-granting institution in Canada.
  • Agriculture: Hire on-farm foreign workers for jobs in primary agriculture.
  • Caregivers: Hire an in-home worker to care for children, seniors, or persons with medical needs.
  • Positions in Quebec: Hire foreign workers in the province of Quebec.
To apply for a work permit, a worker needs:
  • a job offer letter,
  • a contract,
  • a copy of the LMIA, and
  • the LMIA number.
  • Police certificates and medical exam might be required