As most of us know, It’s getting harder to get an invitation to apply under express entry. The cutoff has been over 470 for FSW candidates and the pool size has been getting bigger and bigger. And to top it all off, most of us are losing age points as we wait in the pool.

So, it’s time to try and adapt.

Here are 8 effective options for you to increase your CRS score so that you can get your ITA and move to Canada through Express Entry. If you are struggling with your CRS, we suggest you use one of these options or combine two of them to get the score you desire.
  1. Option 1 — Improve your IELTS score to 8777: Yes, this may be an obvious one, but hitting the magic number of 8777 in IELTS is important for you to maximize language proficiency points. Remember you need to get 8 in listening and 7 in the other three bands.

  2. Option 2 — Get a second degree or diploma: Improving your level of education by adding a second degree, either a master's degree or Ph.D. or any other degree or diploma. This lets you maximize your Level of education points. We recommend you combine option 1 — improving your IELTS score to 8777 and option 2 — adding a second degree or diploma, to maximize the points for both language proficiency and education level.

  3. Option 3 — Get a job offer from a Canadian employer: By getting a Canadian employer to give you an LMIA job offer can get you additional 50 points if your primary NOC belongs to 0, A or B category or 200 additional points if your primary NOC is in the senior management occupation list code starting with 00.

  4. Option 4 — Get a Canadian degree or diploma: Getting a Canadian degree or diploma is sometimes an easier option for many of us to improve our CRS score. Getting a Canadian degree or diploma gives you 15 additional points for a credential of 1-2 years and 30 additional points for a credential of 3+ years. Furthermore, if you are married, your spouse can come on an open work permit thereby gaining valuable work experience as you study.

  5. Option 5 — Gain Canadian work experience: Gain Canadian work experience, either by getting a job offer or by combining with option 4 — studying in Canada, and getting a post-graduate work permit, after you complete your studies in Canada. 2 years of Canadian work experience in NOC 0, A or B on a work permit adds 50 points to your application under Skill transferability factors. Furthermore, under the right circumstances, the work experience gained in Canada could also help you get nominated by a province for a PR.

  6. Option 6 — Get a Certificate of Qualification (CoQ): If you are in skilled trade occupation, then gaining a certificate of qualification from a province along with CLB 7 in IELTS can help you gain additional 50 CRS points.

  7. Option 7 — Learn a second language: If you are a native English speaker, you can decide to learn French as your second language, and if you are a native French speaker then you can learn English as a second language. Exercising this option can get you 30 additional CRS points.

  8. Option 8 — Claim sibling points: Do you have a brother or sister or a stepbrother or a step-sister who lives in Canada and is a PR or citizen of Canada, you can claim an additional 15 points by providing their proof of residence in Canada.

There you have it. 8 ways to improve your CRS score.